Monday, June 25, 2007


This is a picture of my older sister, Laura with Anna-Kate. Laura is one of Anna-Kate's namesakes. They share the same middle name.

Laura sent Marian and me a CD this week. It's by Casting Crowns and it's called Lifesong. Marian said she has listened to the whole thing several times through already. It has really ministered to her spirit. I haven't made it past the second song yet. The title is "Praise You in this Storm". I had heard this song before, but I had never really listened to the words. They got my attention this time:

Praise You in this Storm

I was sure by now/that You would have reached down/And wiped our tears away/Stepped in and saved the day/But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls/I barely hear You whisper through the rain/"I'm with you"/And as Your mercy falls/I raise my hands and praise the God who gives/And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm/And I will lift my hands/For You are who You are/No matter where I am/Every tear I've cried/You hold in Your hand/You never left my side/And though my heart is torn/I will praise You in this storm

I remember when/I stumbled in the wind/You heard my cry/you raised me up again/My strength is almost gone/How can I carry on/If I can't find You

I lift my eyes unto the hills/where does my help come from?/My help comes from the Lord/The Maker of Heaven and Earth


These words capture the emotions of my heart. I never really thought of our God as a God who "takes away", but He is. I've had to ask myself, do I want a God who takes away? My answer is, "It doesn't matter whether I want Him or not, whether I believe in Him or not. No matter where I am emotionally, it doesn't change who He is. He is still God, the same yesterday, today and forever. OK it does matter, for my eternal well-being, whether I want Him or not. Yes, I want this God who controls it all, the giving and the taking away, the ups and the downs, joy, peace, sadness, tears, laughter, pain, whatever it takes, rain, thunderstorms, tornadoes, or sunshine. He knows what will make my life bring glory to His name. I'm not sure how my life is reflecting Him now. I can only guess that in my weakness, His strength comes through. I've never felt weaker, more sadness, more ashamed, or helpless, but in the same breath I can claim a hope in a God who is stronger than I, who gives me glimpses of joy in the sadness, helps me hold my head up against the shame and reaches out to give help." In response, I say to my God, "Thank You. I love You and I praise You alone. You are my God. I am Yours. Wherever this road takes me, whether I hear Your voice or not, whether I feel You at my side or not, even if I feel I cannot find You, I will follow. Grant me strength to walk with You. Lead me on this path. In Jesus' precious name I pray. AMEN"

Thank you Laura, my sister, my friend. I love you.

2 comments:

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

My friend Perri made a cd for me after the boys were born and that was the first song. I would listen to it over and over and over, tears coming down my face. It was playing in the car on the way to Knox's funeral. Everytime I hear it I feel overwhelmed and it takes me to my knees everytime.

Heather said...

Hannh-I love you friend. Thanks for sharing your heart. I am soooo encouraged. I will tak to you soon. Give Austin a birthday hug - we are planning on calling today.