Saturday, June 30, 2007

Malachi 1:2,3
"I have loved you," says the Lord.
"But you ask, 'How have you loved us?'
"Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" the Lord says. "Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals."

Why did God choose Jacob and not Esau? Did He not create them both? And we all know that Cain killed Abel. God could hear Abel's blood crying out to Him from the ground. Twins in the Bible. . .this is my struggle. Are there any twins in the Bible where God called them both, found favor in both, saved them both? Is there ever redemption for both? Being a twin myself, I have always joked that Marian was the good twin and I was the evil/bad twin. Marian HATES it when I say that, but there is a sense in where I am wondering, now, if this is true. God has given me a glimpse of my own character recently, and honestly, I am repulsed at what I see there. For it is in the midst of a tragedy that one reveals who he/she truly is. And in a very important split second, I ran away. My sister, in that same split second, ran straight forward. Why is that? What made us react so differently? I am so ashamed. . .What if the Lord says, "Yet I have loved Marian, but Hannah I have hated. . ." What if?

Part of me knows this cannot be, but part of me is really struggling. I feel like the last kid getting picked on the playground. I'm crying out to God, saying, "Please pick me. Choose me. Love me." I'm hearing a lot of silence. I am not attempting to be hard or difficult. I've been reading my Bible, praying, well, more like moaning and grunting, but all aimed at God nonetheless. I'm His child, at least I think I'm supposed to be. I've cried out to Him. Where is He? No, I wasn't there when He created the depths of the earth. I have no right to feel what I'm feeling, but I don't know how to change it. I remember my pastor in Oklahoma saying from the pulpit one time, "If Jesus never does anything else for you, ever, what He did on the cross should be enough." So that is where I cling, where I stand, where I kneel. If God never clears this up for me, He died for me. That is enough. I hope He has chosen me, for I believe in Him. I've asked Him to be my Savior. I am walking by faith; however weak it is, it is faith. My friend Ashlee reminded me that one day our faith will have eyes. Oh, how I long and hope for that day. I hope to see Jesus face to face and truly know that "Hannah, I have loved."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you, Hannah, beloved of the Lord. You feast at his table, you bear his sign, you have his promise to be your God. May his love for you surround you and uphold you.

Kiersten B

Boysnberries' Brambles said...

Oh, sweet Hannah. I have never met you. But I pray deeply that in these very dark moments you will indeed see but dimly a glimpse of the light of the cross.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may 'tabernacle' in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong".
Hannah Carol Dabney Ayers....You are a child of that Covenant. The new Covenant in which Christ makes you strong. Thank the Lord we do not have to be good enough. You see your weakness and God sees Christ's strength. Unfortunately for Essau, he didn't have that, but you do. You are a child of God, bought with Christ's blood. You have put on His robes and He has taken on yours. God loves you and knows your struggles. I'm praying for you. I love you and so does Jesus. 143

Woody said...

Hannah you an I need a nice sit down and a long talk. In our dark hours the evil one will fill our minds with lies and I am praying that you will not listen to them. I love you dear friend. I have been feeling alone and separated from everyone and my mind has been filled with the same lies just different. let me know when you have time.
Wendy

Anonymous said...

To understand the significance of twins in the Bible, see the Good Shepherd web page.

Unknown said...

What a great post. Like you, I read that God hated Esau and think that God might hate me too. But what I see in that story is that God is a promise keeping God, regardless of the worthiness of the receiptient of the promise. He has promised you and me that if we believe in our hearts and confess with our lips that we will be saved, then we will be saved. He can't rescind that promise.

But I suspect that your heart's longing is to know that you're not merely tolerated out of obligation, but cherished with tender affection. Look around at your husband, your children, your extended family and your friends. The giver of all good gifts has given you those things. Read Psalm 139- God has searched you and he knows you, you are fearfully and wonderfully made. Knowing you as intimately as he does, he has chosen to grant you salvation at great sacrifice. God doesn't just tolerate you, he deeply and sacrifically loves you.

You may be in a very different place than you were three years ago, but these struggles seem embedded in our emotional DNA somehow, so I hope this still means something. Have a blessed day.