Monday, March 24, 2008

Honey, I'm so disappointed!


Last time I grocery shopped, I picked up some more honey because I had run out, and I like to use honey as my sweetener. I grabbed the one in the little "bear" jar and felt thankful that I had remembered to pick it up. After using about half of it, Austin says to me, "Hey mom, this honey has MSG in it."

I took the bear from him and it was then that I noticed my error. The name of the honey was called "Texas Honey Blend". It was NOT raw honey, just packaged to look like it was. I didn't even know they made such a thing as "honey blend". Immediately I turned over the bear to see what his ingredients were and, to my disappointment, it read: high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, corn syrup, natural flavor (which may or may not actually contain MSG-my words, not theirs), caramel color.

The reason I buy honey in the first place is so that I can put one less artificial thing in my body. I was opting for something "God"-made, not man-made. Honey is sweet enough as it is. Why add sugar and all that other goop? Grrrr. I won't make that mistake again.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Eww. I didn't know they made honey blend too. What is the point of that?

ninepoundhammer said...

Actually, if the bees continue to disappear at the current rate, the faux honey may be all we get.