Saturday, July 24, 2010

Asa's First Swim Meet
After six weeks of swim lessons, Asa proclaimed that he wanted to swim in a meet (like his brothers and sister). With only one meet left in the season, but with 4 weeks left to practice, he was allowed to join the team. Today was his big debut.

At practice earlier this week, I timed him (for those of you who know swimming, he was swimming the 25 meter freestyle) to see how he might place. His time was 1:14.07. I told him I would time him once more to see if he could improve on that time at all. Well, he gained 11 seconds and finished in a 1:25.75. I told him we'd put the timer away and he could just practice without that kind of pressure.

Here are some shots to document his race:

Ready for his event to be called to the Ready Bench (where swimmers wait, in line, to swim.)


Asa, on the Ready Bench, with other 5 and 6 year olds.


Behind the blocks.


Anna-Kate giving him a pep talk.


A few words from Coach Olivia too, while Anna-Kate bombs the shot.


It's almost time. . .


Swimmers, take your mark!


Go Asa Go!!!


The big finish!


Even a smile for mom!


He got out of the water and shouted, "I'm gonna do THAT again!" And his time. . .53 seconds! Not bad for a 5-year old on his first swim. Good job Asa. Daddy and I are so proud of you.

1 comment:

Dabney 11 said...

Way to go Asa!! I'm so proud of you. What a great Barracuda you turned out to be! I love all of these pictures and that little camera of yours works pretty well Hannah. Thanks for sharing.
Marian :)