Thursday, October 08, 2009

My Most Embarrassing Moment

I guess God figured I needed a light-hearted moment and truly, I can't believe I'm sharing this here, but when I shared it with Marian, we laughed so hard together that well, I felt like we could all use a good laugh. . .

One night this week, we planned on cooking out at our house with the Colemans and my in-laws, who happened to be visiting. So after we finished school, we headed home to start the getting ready process. It wasn't until after I had put the chicken in the microwave to defrost, that I went to wash my hands and realized that the water had been turned off. "Hmmm," I thought "that must be why all those city trucks were on our street." I called Kevin and he in turn, called the city of Bryan and then called me back to inform me that our water would be off from 4:10 pm to 6:10 pm.

By this time, it was almost 5:00 and so I figured we could all make it another hour. I let the kids know they couldn't use the toilets and if they really had to "go", there were a few trees in the back yard they could use. ;)

About fifteen minutes later is when it hit me and I knew I wasn't going to make it until 6:10 pm. I often catch my children doing the "pee pee" dance, but I'm pretty sure they've never seen me doing it. . .until now. I had to go so bad, I walked out back around the side of my house looking for a place where I might be able to, well, you know, go. But then my next door neighbor's upstairs window was inconveniently glaring down at me so I "danced" my way back in the house and decided I could hold it afterall.

Well, another twenty minutes went by and I started thinking I hadn't fully given the back yard its due. I had to have some relief. So I headed out back again to where I had formerly been and copped a squat beside the house, next to the fence. It was the most private spot I could find under the circumstances.

And then it happened. It was in this squatted position that I heard Kevin's voice. And as I was sitting there, mid-stream, I looked out the slats of the fence and I could see and hear Kevin, introducing his dad, my father-in-law, to the elderly accountant who lives next door. I could see them shaking hands. I had a full view of all of them and I just knew that if they happened to look over, they would see me "in all my glory". I was trying so hard to hurry, but I think I had drank a gallon of water, and well, that just takes time. At some point, I was positive that Kevin and I made eye contact and I was just trying to get back in the house as fast as I could, with my dignity in tact.

As I stood up and tried to get presentable, I thought I saw them all look my way, but I didn't stick around to see for sure. When I asked Kevin about it later, he promised me he didn't see me. He did hear somebody there, but he thought it was the kids playing with Pippen, our dog. I really hope he didn't see me. More importantly, I hope my father-in-law and my neighbor didn't see me. And how thankful I would be if my most embarrassing moment was truly just a moment between me and God!

Whew!

3 comments:

Brian Franklin said...

awesome story.

You'll have to remind me to tell you about my "bathroom" experience in the wilderness of Bolivia.

Dabney 11 said...

I can't believe you shared this. I may pee my pants from laughing.
Marian :)

Caroline said...

Hannah, this is hilarious! When I was preggers I had to pee every time one mile into every run. Thank God the farmers had planted corn that year instead of wheat and we lived in the country ... I can't imagine what i would do in CS!