Monday, September 28, 2009

5K Training and so on. . .

OK, I know I haven't kept up with posting about my training, but that doesn't mean I've given up on the training. It's just that our lives are busy, busy, busy now and so I don't always have the time to say what I want to say. To make a long post shorter, two weeks ago I ran 3 days for 45 minutes and walked about 15 and in between those days, I walked with my daughter for about an hour.

Then last week, I upped the running to 50 minutes and then walked for the last 10. And then I walked a day or two with Anna-Kate--again for about an hour each time (I think.) So, I've been doing about 4 miles consistently and I'm feeling pretty good. I have more energy. I wish I could say I've lost 25 pounds in this whole process, but alas, I have only lost about 3. So I press on.

But I have something better I wanted to share. Marian has been posting some poems that our kids have been writing for school. Well Austin wrote a humdinger of a poem today and I just had to let ya'll have a peek. He's brilliant and funny. So here ya go:

In the forest, there are trees of green
some are broad and some are lean.

It is really spooky in the dark
I flinched to the sound of my dog's bark.

I wondered what was behind that tree.
It was really scaring me.

I didn't know what to do.
I felt the tension as it grew.

I knew something was there.
I began to wet my underwear.

I heard twigs begin to break.
I yelled, "Sick 'em!" to my dog, Jake.

I saw my dog run toward the trees.
I tried to stop my shaking knees.

I heard someone let out a scream.
I began to wish this whole thing was a dream.

I saw someone as he ran.
I noticed I held a can.

I threw it with all my might.
I hit him on the back of the head just right.

As I saw that man fall,
I noticed he was quite tall.

Then all of the sudden I became quite sad
because I realized I just hit my dad.


So then Austin read his poem to his dad and his dad had this to say, "Three things: first of all, you don't have a dog named Jake. Secondly, if you threw a can at me, you would probably miss. Thirdly, if you hit me in the back of the head, I wouldn't fall down." And then he said, "You forgot the last part of your poem. It should read, 'After my dad awoke, soon I noticed my nose was broke.'"

Oh, I love my family.

5 comments:

Christi said...

That is a GREAT poem! :-) And Kevin's addition made me laugh. Thanks for sharing!

em said...

you shouldnt be concerned with the lack of lost weight - many things have a hand in that...the primary one is that you are probably losing a lot of fat but putting on muscle which would, in terms of pounds, act like a transfer
other things that could be contributing are are you getting enough rest (sleep and such) and are your dietary habits good

all in all it sounds pretty stinkin' great though because you have more energy in your daily activities and probably feel more refreshed --- not to mention you are able to run for 50 minutes straight!

Caroline said...

Maybe you are ready for a 5K. You should check the calendar link I sent you. There is one every weekend in CS for the next three weekends.

Dabney 11 said...

Hey, I wanted to put that one on my blog. I laughed and laughed when I read Kevin's additional lines. It wouldn't have been as funny on my blog for sure. But I really loved the poem. Way to go Austin!

Kierstyn said...

Austin, you rock!!!!