Monday, July 20, 2009

Going from the 5K to a Stronger 5K

I don't feel quite ready to take on a 10K seeing as it took me 40 minutes to complete the 5K. So for the next 8 weeks, I'm going to go through the Couch to 5K (C25K) again with a few adjustments.

Using C25K as my base, Week 1 looked like this:
Days 1 & 3: Walked 5 minutes. Ran 10 minutes. Walked 5 minutes. Then the C25K run/walk split (run 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds) for 20 minutes. Ran 5 minutes. Walked 10.

Days 2,4,6: Walked 55 minutes.

Day 5-Long Run Day: Planned on running 20 minutes or 2 miles without any walk breaks. Instead, I ran the first mile and then had to take a walk break for 3 minutes. Then ran another 12.5 minutes. Walked a mile with my son, Austin, as a cool-down.

Some of you have asked me about my weight loss since beginning this venture approximately 12 weeks ago. Well, drumroll please. . .I've gained about 4 pounds. And yes, that is very discouraging to me. But I keep telling myself that the other benefits of being healthy i.e. heart, lungs, blah blah blah are what I need to remember and upon those things I need to put my focus. Admittedly, this is a difficult task, but I am trying. I am beginning to think that all those "facts" about weight loss and that it comes when you burn more calories than you take in, well those "facts" don't apply to me. I believe that even if I were able to hire the best trainer and nutritionist in the world, I would only frustrate them too. I really do try and do things "by the book" and well, it doesn't work for me.

I'm not trying to complain, just attempting to be honest about the way it is. So somewhere along the line, I just have to be happy with who I am. Be thankful that I am the size I am and move forward.

That being said, today should have been Day 1 of Week 2, but I never made it out the door. Here's the plan should I make it out tomorrow:

Days 1 & 3: Walk 5 minutes. Run 12 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Then the C25K run/walk split (run 90 seconds/walk 60 seconds) for 20 minutes. Walk 4 minutes. Run 7 minutes. Walk 4 minutes.

Days 2, 4, & 6: Walk (or any other cross-training i.e. aerobics, biking, etc.) 55 minutes.

Day 5-Long Run Day: Run 25 minutes or 2.5 miles. Walk a mile.

4 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

Hannah,

I'm proud of you. Also, don't get too discouraged yet. It is quite possible that your exercise has traded muscle mass for fat, which would explain your weight gain--muscle weighs more than fat.

Whenever you are exercising for a goal, you should not only consider weight loss, but also measurements. You can experience noticeable loss of inches without actually losing any weight, if you are building muscle through your exercise.

And, even if you haven't been putting on muscle and the weight gain isn't related to the benefits of exercise it IS still true that exercising regularly will lead to a healthier body--even if it only takes place on the inside. There are plenty of healthy-looking 20-somethings whose insides look like an 80-year-old. And you can be a 30-something whose heart looks like a teenager if you keep up the great work.

~Joshua

julianna said...

Hannah--I'm so proud of you!! I know this training is not easy but you can do it!! And, the weight loss will come--I initially gained with my working out but am now down 55 lbs! (but its taken the last three years to lose all the weight)I still have a running playlist cd to send you--I'll try to get it out to you this week! I pray for your training as I run in the mornings. You'll get there!
Love you,

Juli

Dabney 11 said...

Hannah,
I'm so very proud of you. Don't give up. I love you.
Mar :)

em said...

whatever weight or healthy stuff you are worried about...all you need to know i learned while watching Legally Blonde...
exercise gives you endorphines, and girls with endorphines just dont kill their husbands!!!

kevin -- you are safe!